Job Number 19-0164
Post Date 2/14/2019
Title Instructional Designer - Temporary
Location WA - Seattle (Headquarters)
Job Family Human Resources
Job Type Temporary Full-Time
Job Duties and Responsibilities This is a Temporary, project based position expected to last six months.
The Instructional Designer contributes to the success of Sur La Table by developing interactive learning solutions that build employee confidence and expertise while positively impacting business performance. The Instructional Designer works under the supervision of the Manager, Learning & Development.
- Creates interactive, engaging and on brand web-based product training for a retail audience.
- Applies widely accepted instructional design frameworks (e.g. ADDIE, SAM, etc.) and participates in project meetings to create or update training materials.
- Builds relationships and works well across multiple functions.
- Collaborates with subject matter experts (SMEs) to develop training materials.
- Balances multiple priorities acting with a sense of urgency and detail-orientation.
- Learns new applications, processes, and procedures.
- Stays up-to-date on the latest learning & development trends, tools and best practices.
- Maintains direction and focus through proactive planning and organized approaches to work.
- Demonstrates a strong attention to detail, initiative and resourcefulness.
- Demonstrates a strong customer service orientation.
- Demonstrates the capacity to operate under shifting priorities and ambiguity while remaining calm and controlled.
- Accurately records time worked according to Sur La Table policy.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by manager.
Essential Functions • Ability to communicate verbally and work cooperatively with employees.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
- Ability to able to use computer and other office equipment to accomplish work tasks.
- Ability to think critically and communicate complex thoughts and/or ideas in clear and concise manner.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
Experience and Required Qualifications • Currently pursuing a degree in Instructional Design, Education, Adult Training, English or similar. Equivalent work experience considered in lieu of degree.
- 0-2 years instructional design experience, preferably in a retail environment.
- Working knowledge of adult learning theory and practical knowledge of media technology and instructional design theory.
- Excellent writing and editorial skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs and desktop publishing software.
- Ability to translate new subjects or concepts into effective training materials.
- Ability to develop training materials in an efficient and timely manner.
- Experience with eLearning software such as Articulate Storyline is a plus.
Competencies Sur La Table Core Competencies:
- Focus on the Customer: You inspire and delight your customers
- Be Genuine: Your communication style is respectful, effective and sincere
- Make the Right Call: You effectively blend knowledge, experience, wisdom & decisive action
- Take Ownership: you are committed, responsible and provide solutions
- Achieve Results: You meet and exceed goals and expectations
This job description represents a summary of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Sur La Table has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Sur La Table is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or marital status.